Wow its been a long time… wow I was so unmotivated for a while to blog. Its probably because I was so unmotivated to knit and well do a lot of other things as well. I guess that happens every once and a while. I find I let myself get into ruts and then I kick myself in the ass with some motivational idea or concept and that keeps me running for a little while. While I was browsing some of my favourite blogs, I came accross the concept of the 101 tasks in a 1001 days and I figured this would keep me motivated for a while. Two trips and a lot of running around, I am only posting this 2 weeks late (but is totally justified).
The task from the Day Zero website:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
My start date: July 20, 2008
My end date: April 17, 2011
- apply to graduate studies of some sort
- Get a job in the scientific field
- Blog once a week (unless on vacation or with a reasonable excuse)
- Buy a sequins dress and wear it out in public
- Buy an article of clothing (ie. Shirt, dress, pants) from a local artist/designer
- Buy jewelry from a local TO designer
- Go to the spa for a full day
- Send a secret to Post secret
- Leave 2 additional secrets in Post secret books in chapters
- Participate in NaNoBloMo
- Keep a potted plant living for at least 6 months +
- Wear my bathing suit confidently (no shorts over the bottoms) in public (take picture to prove it)
- Stop using the word “sorry” when not needed (double points if I figure this out without a shock collar)
- Kiss in the rain.
- Buy myself something that comes in a blue box with a white ribbon
- Take a spinning class
- Take a term of yoga classes
- Read 3 books/magazines on yoga principles and/ or stress management
- Be able to stay in plank position for 2 minutes without shaking (and without my arms feeling like spaghetti)
- Maintain weight at 120 lbs
- Go to gym consistently 2-3x a week (unless on holidays or sick).
- Stretch until I can do the splits again (side splits)
- Go on a hike in the great outdoors
- try snowboarding or cross country skiing
- Skate on the Rideau canal in Ottawa
- Take a workshop at Flirty Girl Fitness
- Spend a whole day in bed/ in pjs, not because of sickness or sleep deprivation.
- Go salsas dancing.
- Get a strike bowling 10 pin.
- Get yarn stash down to 2 hatboxes (not including wips)
- Finish the scrapbooks I have started or planned out
- Finish sock yarn blanket
- Design and knit 3 Items
- Buy 5 things off of Etsy
- Knit socks for a male friend
- Sew a dress I will actually wear out in public
- Frame the finished cross stitches that are sitting in my dresser.
- Finish all the cross stitch kits that I have.
- Try a craft that I have never tried before and could not learn in front of my computer. (ie. Pottery, weaving, silversmith-ing)
- Create an inspirational book for myself- save articles, pictures, quotes, collages that make me happy and inspire me in any way shape or form.
- Send all the really ugly FOs sitting in my bin to the frog pond and if I don’t like the end product of what I am knitting I have to rip back and re-knit it.
- Print all pictures immediately after taking them of important moments of my life.
- Clean out my underwear drawer and get rid of anything questionable.
- Get rid of all of my “fat” clothes or get them altered
- Keep track of all finances and update every week.
- Keep desk clean for a full month.
- Redecorate my room in my parent’s house.
- See New York
- See a show on Broadway
- Visit western Canada
- Visit Mere is St. Kitts
- Travel somewhere overnight by train
- Go to Italy
- Do a hippo tour of TO
- Go on a trip spontaneously- could be a day trip or overnight. No planning ahead of time allowed.
- Make veggie sushi (so I can actually try it)
- Learn how to bartend and make most classic cocktails including a classic martini
- Go on a wine tour
- Master making chocolate truffles by hand
- Learn proper cake decorating techniques including fondant
- Learn how to make gnocchi from my grandmother
- Make bread by hand. Make it a constant thing I do.
- Attempt to make cannoli by hand
- Put together a recipe booklet of all my favourites
- make 4 different vegan desserts
- Watch AMI top 100 movies
- Go to the ROM
- Go to the Bata Shoe Museum
- Go to the Science Centre
- See the nutcracker on stage
- See an independent art show or installation
- Attend a fashion show at TO fashion week
- Have a cupcake and cocktail party
- Go to a concert of a non- mainstream artist
- Watch the full BBC version of Pride and Prejudice
- Go to a Jazz Festival
- Go to a casino and actually put money in one of the slot machines
- Have a movie marathon where a whole set of movies is watched in a row (ie a trilogy)
- Go to see the Santa Clause Parade
- Watch a live professional soccer game
- Get a membership to the Bloor Cinema
- Make it through all my Italian beginner cds.
- Order the intermediate ones after the beginner ones are finished
- Read the bible- all of it
- Read 1 book every 2 months (at least)
- Blog reviews of the books I read above.
- Take a beginner French class
- Read the Italian magazines I bought instead of looking at the pretty pictures
- Read 5 biographies of people I admire
- Go to a Mars Lecture
- Read the origin of species by Darwin and the Double Helix by James Watson
- Attempt to read a graphic novel of some sort
- Figure out all the features of my digital camera and learn how to play with them to take a really great picture.
- Send out Christmas cards each year to my close friends (bonus points if they are hand made)
- Send out at least 6 care packages to my friends who are away from home
- Volunteer for a cause that I find worthy.
- Call my close friends that have moved away at least once every two months
- Update my photo frames with current pictures
- Watch the sunrise at least twice.
- Do at least three things that would be considered out of character
- Teach myself to see the positive in every situation and identify what makes me happy. By the end of the 1001 days I should be able to write it down.
I am going to be keeping tabs of this in an extra page on this blog as a checklist and well… I am going to be blogging aboutt all the tasks as I go to keep myself motivated to do so. I have also started knitting some of my WIP so I should have some finished projects to blog about after I am done.
And since I planned really well… some of the tasks are already completed and should be coming to the blog shortly.